Nickel-zinc (NiZn) batteries are chemically similar to nickel-metal hydride. Both use an alkaline electrolyte and a nickel electrode but differ significantly in their voltage. The NiZn cell delivers more than 0.4V of additional voltage both at open circuit and under load.
MH + NiOOH = M + Ni(OH)2
H2O + Zn + 2NiOOH = ZnO + 2Ni(OH)2
With the additional 0.4V per cell, an inherent value of the NiZn cell lies in the reduced cell count required for a multi-cell battery. For higher voltage applications the advantages associated with fewer cells are quickly apparent through a smaller footprint, lighter weight, and lower impedance battery.
Before ZincFive was able to make available the advantages of the NiZn battery chemistry they needed to solve the technical problems associated with the instability of the zinc electrode in a rechargeable cell. The cornerstone of this solution was found in a patented electrolyte formulation that reduces zinc solubility and prevents dendrite shorting problems.
The capabilities of the cell were further enhanced with patented advancements in both the positive and negative electrode composition that eliminate the inclusion of toxic material. Additionally, the company has a strong and broad intellectual property position that addresses all major aspects of the cell chemistry as well as engineering and construction details that enable the use of existing nickel-metal hydride manufacturing equipment for production of the cells.
- High power densities up to 3000W/kg are facilitated by fast zinc electrode kinetics, highly conductive substrates and a highly ionically conductive alkaline electrolyte.
- These high power densities can be achieved while maintaining energy densities in excess of 70 Wh/kg.
- The technology is inherently safe and able to withstand all standard automotive abuse tests without incident even in battery sizes exceeding 100Ah.z
NiZn is one of the most recyclable battery chemisteries on the market. Unlike many other materials, both nickel and zinc can be recycled again and again while maintaining their physical and chemical properties, as there remains the same amount of each element at the end of a particular product cycle as at the beginning.
NiZn Technology Benefits
By significantly extending the cycling capability of a NiZn battery without compromising the high performance properties inherent to the chemistry, ZincFive has introduced a rechargeable battery featuring a wide range of customer benefits.
- High Energy Density - The ZincFive high discharge battery has comparable energy density to high power lithium ion batteries when measured by either weight (Watt hours per kilogram) or by volume (Watt hours per liter).
- Superior Power Density - The ZincFive high discharge battery delivers a higher voltage in a smaller and lighter package than other rechargeable batteries. The ZincFive 12V LN3 monobloc has an impedance of 3.3mOhm and a cold crank current rating of 850Amperes.
- Lower Cost - Inherently less expensive, zinc provides a significant cost savings over other rechargeable batteries.
- Safety - NiZn is a proven safe chemistry that is abuse-tolerant.
- Speedy Recharge - The ZincFive high discharge battery is capable of completely recharging in less than one hour, a key benefit for automotive applications where high charge acceptance is necessary.
- Cycle Life - The service life of the high discharge battery meets or beats that of most NiCd batteries in typical applications.
- Long Shelf Life - Superior to lead-acid batteries which will sulfate over time limiting their shelf life, the ZincFive NiZn high discharge battery has a significantly longer shelf life.
- Environmentally Friendly - Both nickel and zinc are recycled easily. The zinc electrode contains no lead, cadmium or mercury, and presents no threat to the environment, making it an ideal replacement for lead batteries.
NiZn SubC is deployed in traffic control systems throughout North America
A high power cell optimized for low voltage automotive systems
Ideal building block for stationary storage and grid storage applications
A low weight auxiliary EV power unit
A lighter, higher performance alternative for AGM lead-acid