What to do if the traffic lights aren't working
If you happen to approach an intersection that has a power failure, or the traffic lights are malfunctioning, use caution and treat the intersection as if it has stop signs in all directions.
When approaching traffic lights that aren't working, keep these in mind:
- The first vehicle to come to a complete stop at the intersection goes first
- If two vehicles arrive and stop at the same time, the one on the right goes first
- If two vehicles stop at the intersection at about the same time and are facing each other, the one making a left turn yields to the one going straight through. Otherwise, both vehicles proceed straight through at the same time.
- In all cases, yield to pedestrians.
- Before entering the intersection, be sure other approaching vehicles are following the rules and coming to a complete stop.
Source: 2017 Oregon Driver Manual & NHTSA